Transplant from a living donor
Why choose a living donor transplant?
Waiting time is shorter, and success rates are higher with living donor transplant.
Most people in the United States wait about
to get a kidney.
But with living donation, you can get a transplant in
1 year or less
once you find a matching donor. You may be able to get a new kidney before you start dialysis.
Benefits of living donor kidney transplant over dialysis:
- You don’t have to spend large amounts of time on dialysis
- You can eat more kinds of foods
- You’ll have more energy and time to do things you enjoy
- You can travel
- You’ll feel better and may live longer
Benefits of living donor kidney transplant over a transplant from a deceased donor:
- You’ll likely get a kidney sooner and spend less time on dialysis
- You may live longer
- Your new kidney usually starts working right away
- Your body is less likely to reject the kidney, especially if it comes from a relative
Leaders in transplant excellence
UNOS works with leading educational partners to provide accurate, trustworthy health information. Our educational partners include: