Questions to ask
Below are a few important questions you should ask your transplant financial coordinator, insurance provider, and fundraising organizations regarding finances:
Questions to ask your transplant financial coordinator
- How much will the transplant cost?
- How much will I have to pay out of pocket?
- What financial coverage does the hospital accept (such as Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, etc)?
- What happens if my financial coverage runs out?
- Will the costs vary if I have a living donor?
Questions to ask your insurance provider
- Will my insurance cover me throughout the transplantation process?
- Am I covered for a transplant right now, or do I have to wait a certain period of time (pre-existing exclusion clause)? If yes, how long?
- Do I need authorization (approval) before I have a transplant?
- Do I need to notify you when I am admitted to the hospital? If so, how soon after I am admitted?
- Do I need a second opinion? If so, who will pay for it?
- What do I do if I run out of insurance money?
- How are the costs of the transplant applied to my deductible?
- What happens if I change jobs or lose my job? Will it affect my insurance coverage?
- How can I cut down on insurance expenses to make sure my coverage lasts as long as I need it?
- What pre- and post-transplant tests are covered?
- Do I need to go to a certain facility for these tests to be covered?
- Are expenses for food, housing, and transportation covered while I wait for my transplant?
- How much coverage will I receive for post-transplant medications?
- What is the co-pay amount for transplant related medications?
Questions to ask when choosing a fundraising organization
- Are you a 501(c)(3) (tax-exempt) organization? If so, can people who donate to my fund use the amount of money they donate as an income tax deduction?
- What type of account will be used?
- How can I find out how much money is in my account?
- Who has access to my funds?
- Are there any additional fees?
- What are my options if I don’t receive a transplant or don’t need all the money?
- Can I talk to other patients you have helped?
- Who should I call if I have questions or problems?
- What is the process of paying my bills with these funds?
- Will you check my bills for accuracy?
- What other services do you have available?
- Can you refer me to other sources for financial help?